With more than 693,000 beneficiaries, the Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project (WaSSIP) aspires to increase access to piped water services and improve sanitation in the selected districts; and to strengthen the capacity of associated institutions; increasing the access to safe piped water supply to 60 percent of the population from the current coverage of 44 percent.
- Number of beneficiary households in towns: 23,600
- Number of beneficiary households in rural areas: 64,900
- Number of beneficiary households in estates: 15,800
- Number of sanitation beneficiary families: 43,000
- Total number of beneficiary households: 107,000
Since a strong correlation between poverty and access to water services was seen, the selection criteria for the seven chosen districts were,
- Percentage of people with access to unimproved and unsafe water.
- Percentage of households with access to non-piped water sources
- Districts in the dry zones
The seven priority districts: -
Northern Province- Mullaithiv & Kilinochchi
Uva Province- Badulla & Monaragala
Sabaragamuwa Province- Kegalle & Ratnapura
In completion of the project (we wish to) have improved the living standards and
Social inclusion by increasing the quality of services, reducing the prevalence of malnutrition and expanding social inclusion and equitable access.